Alcohol

>> Friday, January 8, 2010

Tonight I saw something that made me a little sad.  Tonight while waiting for the train to Melbourne I saw two guys that were just drunk off their nut.  And while people get drunk all the time, I think what took me by surprise with these guys was that I wasn't out late, or in the city, or even anywhere near a pub, but instead I was just sitting at the station at 7pm, in the daylight. 

The thing is, even though I don't drink, I don't really have a problem with alcohol, I am fine with a casual drink, a drink while your out, in fact I really don't care what people do with grog, but I get upset when I see it interfere with people's lives.  Now I guess I was probably in the wrong because when I watched these two mates at the station, I was a bit judgmental, they were loud, disruptive and being a bit offensive and I have to admit it didn't make me think to highly of them.  It did, however, make me wonder what they could have been doing... whether this was normal or perhaps whether it was just a once off.  It just made me wonder why as well i guess, what is the point of being that drunk, why were that they that drunk? What was happening in their lives that had lead to this...

This year, amongst lots of other patients I have seen a number of people that are detoxing from an alcohol addiction and every time I speak to these patients I am surprised at the fact that they are just regular people who have just had a rough trot, or something happen, or are in a lot of pain, but they don't fit the picture of what I expect an 'alcoholic' to look like and I guess I just wonder why its alcohol that people turn too and why its so crippling and while I don't really have any answers, i guess I just wanted to vent a little, you know put it out there and just wonder out loud a little.

I guess that's just all part of the adventure!

1 comments:

David George January 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

Good blog. You don't need to worry about being judgemental. You did judge them on what they were like at the time with the fact that were presented to you. It would be judgemental to see them again in normal society and stear clear of them because you judged them last time. It is ok to process the information as it comes to you. That is being diserning. Just don't expect an alcoholic to be drunk all the time. They can be very plesant people you just need to know when you need to give them space.
But it was a good blog. Nice to have a deeper think about stuff sometimes.

eXTReMe Tracker

View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP