Dance like Dave's not watching

>> Saturday, January 9, 2010

Confidence is not something that I have a lot of.  You may be a little surprised by this, but it is true,  I find it really difficult to really be myself, I am always worrying about what people with think or say and while I have become more confident in who I am over the last couple of years, it is something that I still need to work on.

One thing I really love to do though is dance. I am not a very good dancer and this is mostly due to a 'co-ordination deficiency' which is a very seriously genetic disorder, that unfortunately has been passed down the Lewis family line, so as you can imagine, I don't do it very often, but when I do...oh when I do... I really let my hair down, so to speak.  I really like that quote that says 'Dance like no one is watching' however I think that in my case it's more like 'Dance like Dave's not watching' because even though we have been going out for so long, I don't like to make a fool of myself in front of him...at least not with my dancing anyway, not because he will love me less, but because I think that I could possibly be a little embarrassing, I know he will say he doesn't care and he just wanted me to be me...but I know its true deep down inside.


Anyway, tonight I attended Stobie's farewell shin dig and once the crowd had died down and I was there with a few close buddies of mine I decided that it was time for them to see me dancing...not just a little bit of dancing, but 'dancing like Dave's not watching' dancing.  They hadn't seen my full on dancing before because I normally leave that to parties where everyone else is drunk so that they won't remember the quality of my dancing (ironic, given my last blog), but I was feeling particularly comfortable, so I decided that tonight was the night (it probably helped that Dave wasn't there either).  Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that I love it.  It really is very freeing and thankfully it all went down ok, no one thought I was super weird or anything...not even when I pulled out my favourite, and original, interpretive dance move...plastic bag in the wind.  

Perhaps I will need to start finding more situations to get my dance on, and to dance like Dave's not watching...even if he is...who knows, maybe one day he will even dance with me.  That would be nice (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Oh and that's a picture of me getting my groove on...while singing...pretty...I know. 

I guess that's just all part of the adventure!

3 comments:

Dave January 29, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

You are most welcome to dance it up. Just don't presure me too. You are embarasing it times but so is everyone, particually me. You dance your heart out just don't make everyone then presure me to dance. I just don't like it.

Shirl Lewis January 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

It's important that you be yourself Em and do all the things that you want in life. Don't wait til your 50 and realise that you have spent most of your life trying to please other people for years. You are a beautiful young woman and you need to express yourself in any way you want. I love you!!!!

Barb Agnew January 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

Absolutely agree with your wise old (sorry sis!!) mum. You're lots o fun to spend time with, Em. Stay true to yourself, it's an important quality to have. Love ya heaps xxx

eXTReMe Tracker

View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP